Linked Events

• Head for the Mountains! Alpine Adventure: September 02, 2011 - September 05, 2011

Author Topic: Labor Day Road Trip Hosted by the Bluebonnet Miata Club  (Read 2952 times)

Offline cjshem

• Club Member
  • "OLD" but my right foot works real good!
    • Drivers Name: Charles Joe Shem
    • Miata: Velocity Red,
Labor Day Road Trip Hosted by the Bluebonnet Miata Club
« on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:56 PM »
The San Antonio group, aka The Bluebonnet Miata Club has offered to save the day for the annual Miata event.  They have invited the Houston Club to their "Head for the Mountains" trip.  Destination...Alpine, Texas in the Big Bend/Fort Davis Area.  The Labor Day weekend (September 2-5) is a long weekend.  With temperatures souring in the triple digits here in Houston, you can expect a typical day at 82 degrees with a high in the 90's.

The "host" lodging will be at the Antelope Lodge.  Each unit has it's own drive up parking.  Rates are incredibly reasonable with nothing higher than $75 per night.  Singles with queen bed is around $60 per night.  Each room has a kitchenette included.  Call direct at 800-880-8106 for reservation.

Alternate lodging will be at the Hampton Inn in Alpine.

More details at "Head for the Mountains1  Alpine Adventure"

Lots of activities are scheduled plus the "Big Bend Balloon Bash" (hot air balloons) and the "Marfa Lights Festival"  (the famous, mysterious, dancing lights) .

BEGI ECU Rechip, FM Intk/Dwnpipe, Magnaflow Cat, Corksport 3.1 exhaust,  ACT HD Clutch/10# Flywhl, Miata Roadster Shortshifter, CX Racing Radiator, Racing Beat Ft Swaybar, Extreme Dimensions Ft Bumper, ft/rr mudflaps, S/S Skidplate, Nautilus Air Horn, Magellan GPS & V1 Radar, Cobra 29 CB

Offline beritek3

• Forum User
  • Noob Zoomer
    • Drivers Name: Fred Still
    • Miata: Red-1996 & Red-2001,
Re: Labor Day Road Trip Hosted by the Bluebonnet Miata Club
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »
bummer on no round up.   that is the only event that we ever make.  hard to follow that event last year put on by Bluebonnet Club.  they did very well and clearly put in a lot of planning and had a lot of volunteers.
  • beritek3

Offline cjshem

• Club Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 06:42:27 PM »
I've been to the last several Roundups!  The events at Fredericksburg (S.A.) are excellent road trips for the "Three Sisters" runs.  The Gimmick Run was a lot of fun.  The Miata Rodeo that had to be driven with a blindfold and using only the voice instructions from your navigator was a lot of laughs.  There is a replica of Stonehenge to visit.  There is Enchanted Mountain to climb.

The Alpine (Big Bend) events are great for the tourist attractions.  You can watch the Marfa lights as they mysteriously dance around the mountains.   The McDonald Observatory have an amphitheater with a super laser gun/pointer that literally touches each constellation and star the commentator is speaking about.  The Balloon Festival has a display of colorful balloons and a concert in which they fire off the balloon torches in rhythm to the song.  Alpine probably have some twisties buried in the mountains but we weren't there to explore that venue.

Either trip is worth while.  It's just late in the game relatively speaking and decisions have to be made with a lot less procrastination
BEGI ECU Rechip, FM Intk/Dwnpipe, Magnaflow Cat, Corksport 3.1 exhaust,  ACT HD Clutch/10# Flywhl, Miata Roadster Shortshifter, CX Racing Radiator, Racing Beat Ft Swaybar, Extreme Dimensions Ft Bumper, ft/rr mudflaps, S/S Skidplate, Nautilus Air Horn, Magellan GPS & V1 Radar, Cobra 29 CB

Offline Mikeymx5

• Webmaster
  • Club Member
    • Drivers Name: Michael
    • Miata: Sunburst,
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 09:49:08 PM »
My daughter is getting baptised that weekend so I guess that makes it much easier on me. If anyone goes take notes so that we can set it up at a later date for all of us that couldnt make it.
  • mikeymx5
1st Miata: 96 Red POP - Lots of Leather and Chrome.
2nd Miata: 2003 (Sunburst Yellow), BEGI S2 T2554@11psi, AEM/FIC, 550CC RC Injectors, FM Dual Turbo Exhaust. 1/4mile 13.3 @ 105mph.
3rd Miata: 2003 Black 6speed, Mazda Big Body Kit, MSM Springs, 0-60 yes.

Offline cjshem

• Club Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
FYI...I've reserved my room.  There are 2 more rooms at the Antelope Lodge both have twin double beds.  If there are more Club members that wish to attend this event, I will switch my reservations to the alternate location.  Otherwise I'll keep what I have. 

A road plan will be made up to accommodate  a caravan, so make your decision known.  We have a little time, since the Bluebonnet Club is making the agenda but we have planning to do ourselves as a Club.

Offline cjshem

• Club Member
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »
 :hum:   I never thought it would happen so soon or like this!  I had reservations for this event, it was timed for Mary's Birthday and I FORGOT!  I didn't realize until the Alpine Lodge/Resort call me to remind me of my reservations at 3:00 the day we were suppose to be there!  Getting old is so enlightening.  It must have been all the drugs that I did in my youth.   ::)   

Any younger, faster minds out there ready for the helm?