Promote the club by putting a card on the windshield...

4 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Saw an early NA when I parked at the store.  Grabbed our club card to put under the wiper blade to promote the club......scared the HECK out of the little lady napping in the drivers seat.  Apologized thru the closed window and showed her the card.  I'm sure she thought I was a molester or a panhandler...but the window came down an inch or two and I introduced myself and told her about the club.  She said "Really?, I didn't know there WAS a Miata club in Houston?" We chatted a few minutes and I was informed that she had been there about a half hour waiting for AAA to come jump her 91 Miata, she was dead in the parking lot.  I ran to my truck but didn't remember I had removed the jumper cables....darn.  I told her to put the stick in 2nd gear, turn the key to "on" and I'd shove the car and she could pop the clutch and see if it would start.  I also gave the car a rocking push to see if I had the horsepower to actually move the car fast enough....figured I could.  After doing what I asked she said "Nah, she didn't feel comfortable doing that".  I DID NOT recommend we change roles and she could push as she was more senior than I was.  So I said OK at least pop the trunk and let me look at the battery connections.  She turned the key the wrong direction and the engine came alive.  We wordlessly looked at each other.  She said Oops! I turned it the wrong way, should I turn it off again so you can check the battery?  I shouted NO! just let it run and charge the battery a bit.  I asked if she lived close by Yes she said.  I said you can just get home and then call the mechanic or a friend...whatever.  At least you will be safe at home.   About that time some nearby female voice asked, Hey whats going on here?  I looked up and it was my own Carla!!!  I guess me talking to some blonde in a Miata in the parking lot needed some explaining.  The blonde thanked me profusely, after accepting my offered card. I waved at Carla and went into the store.  When I came out in about 3 minutes the blonde was still there, the Miata still running and the AAA wrecker was there frowning and scratching his head.  I patted the AAA guy on the shoulder and said, "There is nothing to see here, move along".  then went to my truck and departed the parking lot!  Think I promoted the Houston Miata Club?

Posted · Report post

Awesome story Kelly Bob!  Not only did you tell her about the HMC, but you demonstrated something even better...  GOOD WILL!  

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is the lady now convinced that you are not a molester? Does Carla think you are not a molester? ;D;D;D  I once was expounding upon the subject of ths club to a young stranger when I realized that he thought I was just some old guy who was hitting on him.

Edited by Bolivar4345

Posted · Report post

Ron, you are not supposed to grab anyone’s backside when discussing Miatas... unless it’s your significant other. Just a helpful hint.

Freddy