Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Greetings from a 124 Spider owner

1 post in this topic

Posted · Report post

Greetings everyone - James here.  I've got a 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth - really a ND Miata with different body styling, a NC manual transmission, and a Fiat 1.4L turbo engine.  The 124 community is pretty weak overall, and non-existent in Houston.  Am hoping everyone here is okay with my presence.

I started as a VW/Audi guy, and have had a few ranging from an '01 A6 Quattro w/ turbo V6 and manual transmission, several GTIs - some with turbo upgrades, manual diesel Golfs and Jettas, to a manual AWD TT w/~280hp.  I spent a few years in a Subaru BRZ with stage 2 flex-fuel and suspension upgrades, but had a lot of issues with the dealership in regards to some factory flaws.

I sold the BRZ back in June and picked up a 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth - black with manual transmission, Recaro seats and Brembo brakes.  I'm loving the car so far...  It's got a ECU tune, upgraded diverter valve and some exhaust work.  I'm sure most of you are aware that the 124 is actually a ND Miata, made in Japan by Mazda, and shares everything except the sheet metal, transmission, and engine with the current MX-5.

I loved the VW community, although never found a relatable BRZ/FRS/GT86 community.  I've very technical - anything from troubleshooting to rebuilding heads, and everything in between.  Looking forward to meeting some fellow gear heads, and am very interested in the meetup/cruise/community aspects of Houston Miata Club.