The 2017 Texas Miata Challenge Fun Run

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Good morning,everyone!

If you ARE NOT participating in the The 2017 Texas Miata Challenge or don't know what it is and would like more information, please take a look at the Lone Star Miata club's site HERE.

If you ARE participating in the The 2017 Texas Miata Challenge, I am planning a run to the western most parts of our great state to knock out the locations situated WAAAYYY out there.

I am planning on using the long weekend of Memorial Day to head out with a return on Monday.  I haven't firmed up any of the details like overnight stops and such, but I have attached a map of the stops from the Miata Challenge. I plan on covering stops 12, 11, 10, and 8.  This will be a full weekend of driving at least 8 hours each day, so pack light and bring some great music.

If you would like to join me (and maybe help plan some of this out) I welcome all comers!  This will be a sanctioned event, so anyone not a member of the club will need to pay the $15 fee since this is a 3-day outing.

West TX Miata Challenge Route.pdf

Posted · Report post

Interested - not sure of co-pilot yet as she's not retired :-).

Posted (edited) · Report post

For a couple of hours more you get 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12. Threw in Carlsbad alternate for different scenery - this is 1739 miles & 27 hours. https://goo.gl/maps/EJLiHQqGXf22

The same W/O Carlsbad is 1731 & 26 hours. https://goo.gl/maps/tEJLGo8x7H92

One other option is if El Paso #12 is dropped and then it is 1164 & 19 hours. https://goo.gl/maps/H64k6mWn88G2

But then you loose the chance at the gold of 12 stops..... My mileage is from our house so some would be more or less.

Edited by anderml1955

Posted · Report post

Wow!  Thanks for taking the time to research this.  The reason for my selections was to hit them at lunch and dinner times.  If folks are just looking to drive by and take the photos, we could do that, too.  

I also wanted to leave leave some of the locations for future trips for those that are inclined toward the weekend runs.

I'm pretty flexible, so we can converse about this over the next couple of weeks.  The route will dictate the overnight locations and I'd like to get those set.

John

Also, I'm not retired yet, either. It's a weekend so grab her and go! :)

Posted · Report post

That sounds like a plan too. 5,6,7 are closer so it could be a different (shorter) weekend run that included some of the country around Austin.

Mark

Posted · Report post

Good morning!  I believe this route will be run "backwards" with stopping at Perini's first in Buffalo Gap.  

That said, here’s the basic plan of attack:

1.       Perini Ranch Steak House, Buffalo Gap – Lunch - it will be a later lunch (around 2 depending on stops) - 6-6.5 hours

2.       Crafthouse Gastropub, Lubbock - Dinner.  – This will be the stop for Saturday night. We can check into the hotel, relax a bit before dinner, or whatever else suits us ~3 hours

a.       Red Roof Inn, Holiday Inn Express, La Quinta, etc.  I’m a cheapy, but we can discuss and come to consensus.

3.       Basin Burger House , Midland – Lunch – Sunday Lunch, opens at 9AM – 2 hours

4.       Rosco’s Burger Inn, El Paso – Dinner – This will be our Sunday night stop – 5 hours

a.       We may want to drive a bit back toward Houston before stopping for the evening to make the following day and easier trip?

5.       The run back to Houston will be Monday (long travel day!).  If we want, we can stop in Mason and hit stop #6 Willow Creek Café in Mason after about 7.5 hours of driving.  It’s about 4.5 hours from Mason back to Houston.

6.       END OF RUN

Your thoughts and comments appreciated :cheesy:

Posted · Report post

I like that route John. It leaves the long stretch for the end rather than getting worn out right off the bat.

4-a - The only place we know and have stayed outside of El Paso is Van Horn which would be a few hours. We stayed at the Hampton Inn but they have a number of places. They have a good Mexican food place Chuys (John Madden theme as it was where he always stopped) - not related to the Chuy's here and Austin. We also saw a steak place and the standard fast food places.

Mason might be a stretch for some. It also can be part of another Austin loop to catch 5,6,7 but we are open to it if others want to catch it.

Mark

Posted · Report post

Ok, the plan is to leave Katy Mills Mall at 7:30 am on Saturday the 27th.

who all's in?

Posted · Report post

We're here!

IMG_0601.JPG

Posted · Report post

How did it go John?

I dodged a bullet as I picked up a stomach bug that would have been no fun on the road on Monday!

Posted · Report post

Hey, Mark.  It was just the two of us, but we had a great time. We also made good time and got back to Houston at about 4:30 om Monday and still included the 5th stop in Mason on the way back. Lots of miles, but a great time to spend with daughter.

Posted · Report post

That's great. We caught a few of them on our trip back from Kansas a few weeks ago. In two weeks I'm taking Suzanne to Mo Ranch up NW of San Antonio so we'll catch a couple then and I may just run over to El Paso at the same time.

Posted · Report post

It's great to see some HMC members participating in the challenge.  I'm looking fwd to seeing y'all receive y'alls awards at the 2017 Roundup.

Posted · Report post

10 down, 2 to go!  I'll get one of them this evening...

Posted · Report post

We're 7 out of 12 so far.

12 will be a real stretch for Suzanne unless they hold a music and clothes shopping festival in El Paso.

Posted · Report post

I am now 12 for 12. All done! There were some really nice back roads on some of these.