Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Shocks or Coilcovers

7 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello I'm confuse I have 1997 Miata and the shocks ,coilcovers or Struts have never been replaced. It's a daily driver never raced. I dont want to lower the car just want to replace the item the will stop me from bottoming out when I hit bumps. New to this Miata maintenance stuff but wanting to learn.

Posted · Report post

I saw you on Facebook with this question. You have many options, though coil-overs is a bit of over kill for most street applications. What is your budget? When you look at what you want/can spend, then you pick the best choice based on cost/performance.

It sounds like you need new shocks and top hats, possibly springs? How many miles on the car? KYB and Tein both make good quality replacement products for your car.

Let us know how we can best help you! Better yet, come out to the next meeting and ride in some of our cars and ask questions.

Freddy  

Posted · Report post

Hi, I wanted to second Freddy's post; coilovers will probably overkill for what you're trying to do.  A good set of springs and shocks should do the trick.  I used Bilstein Sport Shocks and Progress Springs on my previous NC and that combo worked great; they tightened up the ride but they did lower it a bit.  Either come to the next meeting in November or join us at Ruggles Green this Wednesday (10/28) for our Last Wednesday of the Month (LWOTM) dinner.

Zach

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys for all the help. I will have to ride in some of you guys cars or ride with me and tell what you think.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Im in the same place as Roper57.  I want to stiffen up the ride and lowering it does not bother me if i don't have to do any additional crazy modifications.   I have a budget of around 1K for the shocks.   I am looking to also add a front tower strut brace, rear strut brace and under car cross member.  I have also toyed with the idea of new anti sway bars front and back.  

I have a 2006 NC which is at 102K miles and appears to never have had a change on any suspension parts.  It has started to bottom out over bumps when pushed a little and I would like to tighten it up a bit.  

ruby1.png

Edited by Gspurger

Posted · Report post

I don't have any practical experience with the NC. I would look at Miata.net under suspension/NC and read some reviews. I know the Ohlins are the hot ticket... but you can buy a nice NB for the cost of those :-).

Freddy

Posted · Report post

188,000 miles and nothing be changed