Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Scott's 2000, first real road trip

5 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

We took the first real road trip in the 2000 this week.  Back roads to San Antonio, spent the night on the riverwalk.  Lousy weather, great food and drink, no pictures.

Day two broke clear and cool.  Made our way to Fredericksburg for some German food and local beer and wine.

I had never been to a winery so we stopped by a local one for a tasting.  I can see how this can get expensive, $25/bottle, but damn good and different wines that I never would have tried from only a name and a label.

[img height=480 width=640] IMG_0865.jpg

I saw Luckenback, Texas nearby on the map and had to say we had been there.  I bet we were the only Miata there in months.  We were way to early for beer and dancing but I can see coming back on a weekend evening.  As my truck is a Toyota, I'll have to borrow a relatives Ford or Chevy to fit in.  Sorry, you will never see me on a "Hog".

[img height=480 width=640] IMG_0870.jpg

Finally, to prove we were not yet over the hill, we tackled Enchanted Rock.  Best road of the trip, the two lane road north out of Fredericksburg to Enchanted rock has lots of nice turns and ups and downs that were new to me.  You guys with more power would have a ball.

I sure don't remember it hurting like this last time we climbed it. 

[img height=480 width=640] IMG_0874.jpg

Can you see the car wedged in between two SUVs?  No, neither can I...

[img height=480 width=640] IMG_0875.jpg

Three days, 600 miles, no problems, maintenance issues, problems of any kind.  Driving in the rain to San Antonio, she got dirtier than I have ever had her, drove me nuts and we found a car wash in Boerne to get off some of the scum.  Averaged 30-31 MPG at near legal speeds with two people and the trunk loaded beyond capacity.

Still need to have a nagging oil leak looked at, possibly next couple of weeks but it may have to wait until May.

Before next time:

• Find a way to hard mount a GPS, just need a back up to the map book, printed Google maps are FAR from accurate and I won't be using them again.
  • Already made an emergancy tool kit, next time I'll have some emergency detailing stuff, namely glass wipes.  The windshield got covered with bug carcasses that don't easily clean themselves.
  • Better system of packing, small trunk proved challenging and we wound up carrying one small suitcase with seperate shoes, shaving kit, etc.
  • All new coolant hoses and belts, purely for peace of mind.  10 years and 95k on the originals and they deserve their retirement.

Bluebonnets are within two weeks of peak color and the weather cannot be beat, don't wait until summer's heat gets here to get out there.

You can bet I will be there this fall when the Kerrville trip comes around again.

post-14-142655227415_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

Scott, if you thought the road to Echanted Rock was good, wait till the "Round Up".  You'll get 8 hours of "good" roads.  Nice pics!  Keep it shiney!

Posted · Report post

Can't wait till the round up next fall.

And it will be FFSC if I ever get the chance.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Update:

Sold the MSM last May, broke my heart to see it go but needed to liberate some funds.  Oldest son now driving a recent Scion tC and will be driving it to Lubbock in the fall to go to tech.  Younger son driving the last few miles out of the starter Corolla that taught two nieces and older brother how to drive.  Good news, at the rate the corolla is using oil the roads around here will never rust.

Couldn't stand all the free time so I've been keeping an eye on craigslist for a cheap "fun" car.  Eleven minutes after it posted I found a 97m with 112k over by Freddy that I paid $1,500 for.  Needs maintenance like a timing belt and water pump and the clear coat is peeling but it is almost mod free and looks to have been driven easy for 20 years.  I'll post pics in a week or two but we all know what a 97m looks like.

Hope everyone is doing well, lots of new names and only a couple of the older ones.  Look forward to catching up next time we meet.

I may leave the MSM by my name, it's a lot better looking...

Edited by Byrdmen

Posted · Report post

It would be great to see you at the meeting Friday! I hope the new/old Miata puts a smile on your face Scott.

Freddy